Sunday 24 January 2016

The Life of Buddha, Chapter One, Part 001.

The Life of Buddha, Chapter One, Part 001.

By A. Ferdinand Herold, translate. by Paul C Blum [1922].

PART ONE

*** King Suddhodana And Queen Maya.

SERENE and magnificent was this city where once had dwelt the
great hermit Kapila. It seemed to be built out of some
fragment of the sky, the walls were like clouds of light, and
the houses and gardens radiated a divine splendor. Precious
stones glistened everywhere. Within its gates darkness was as
little known as poverty. At night, when silver moonbeams
fingered each turret, the city was like a pond of lilies, by
day, when the terraces were bathed in golden sunshine, the
city was like a river of lotuses.

King Suddhodana reigned in Kapilavastu, he was its brightest
ornament. He was kindly and generous, modest and just. He
pursued his bravest enemies, and they fell before him in
battle like elephants struck down by Indra, and as darkness is
dissipated by the sharp rays of the sun, even so were the
wicked vanquished by his radiant glory. He brought light into
the world, and he pointed out the true path to those who were
close to him. His great wisdom gained for him many friends,
many courageous, discerning friends, and as starlight
intensifies the brightness of the moon, so did their
brilliance enhance his splendor.

Suddhodana, king of the Sakya race, had wed many queens. His
favorite among these was Maya.

She was very beautiful. It was as if the Goddess Lakshmi
herself had strayed into the world. When she spoke, it was
like the song of birds in the spring, and her words were sweet
and pleasant. Her hair was the color of the black bee, her
forehead was as chaste as a diamond, her eyes as cool as a
young blue lotus leaf, and no frown ever marred the exquisite
curve of her brows.

She was virtuous. She desired the happiness of her subjects,
she was attentive to the pious precepts of her teachers. She
was truthful, and her conduct was exemplary.

King Suddhodana and Queen Maya lived quietly and happily in
Kapilavastu.

One day, the queen bathed and perfumed her body, then attired
herself in a delicate, colorful robe and covered her arms with
jewels. Golden bangles tinkled about her ankles, and her face
was radiant with happiness as she sought the king's presence.

Suddhodana was seated in a great hall. Sweet music was lulling
his tranquil reverie. Maya took the seat on his right, and she
said to him,

" Deign to listen, my lord. Deign to grant the favor I have to
ask of you, O protector of the earth."

" Speak, my queen," replied Suddhodana. " What is this
favor ?"

" My lord, there is great suffering in the world, and I look
with compassion on all who suffer. I would be helpful to my
fellow creatures, I would close my mind to evil thoughts. And
since I shall forbear doing and thinking evil, since I am thus
kind to myself, I would be helpful, I would be kind to others,
too. I will put aside pride, O king, and I will not listen to
the voice of evil desire. I will never utter a vain or
dishonorable word. My lord, henceforth I will lead a life of
austerity, I will fast, and I will never bear ill will or
commit wickedness, suffer anxiety or hatred, know anger or
covetousness. I will be satisfied with my lot, I will forswear
deceit and envy, I will be pure, I will walk in the straight
path, and I will practise virtue. And because of these things
my eyes are now smiling, because of these things my lips are
now joyous."

She paused a moment. The king gazed at her in tender
admiration. She continued,

" My lord, I ask you to respect my austere life. Do not enter
the dim forest of desire, allow me to observe the holy law of
abstinence. I shall repair to those apartments that are in the
lofty reached of the palace, and there, where the swans build
their nests, have prepared for me a couch strewn with flowers,
a soft, perfumed couch. My maidens shall attend to my wants,
and you may dismiss the eunuchs, the guards and all vulgar
servants. I would be spared the sight of ugliness, the sound
of revelry and the odor of things unpleasant."

She said no more. The king replied:

" So let it be ! The favor you ask, I grant." And he
commanded,

" Up there, in the lofty reaches of the palace, where the air
throbs with the song of the swans, let the queen, resplendent
in gold and precious stones, rest on a couch of rare flowers,
and let there be music. And to her maidens, gathered about
her, she will be like a daughter of the Gods in some celestial
garden !"

The queen rose.

" It is well, my lord," said she. " But hear me further. Free
your prisoners. Give generously to the poor. Let men and women
and children be happy ! Be merciful, O king, and, that the
world may be joyous, be a father to all living creatures !"

She then left the hall and went to the top of the royal
palace.

It was the advent of spring. Birds darted and wheeled above
the terraces, birds sang in the trees. The gardens were in
flower, on the surface of the ponds, the lotus buds were
unfolding. And, as the queen sought her bower, the piping note
of flutes and the deeper harmony of strings resounded of their
own accord, and a refulgent glory appeared over the palace, a
glory so perfect that the sunlight turned to shadow.

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://sacred-texts.com/bud/lob/

No comments:

Post a Comment